Thursday, December 18, 2008

War

Recently we've viewed and analyzed a lot of literature of war. We read SL-V and war poems, but I've also been reading The Things They Carried, which is a war story from vietnam. It talks about war in ways i've never heard or even thought of. War isn't a glam story, and most true stories aren't actually true. They all are exagerated, and most of the time we only see glimpses of things and our minds fill in the rest that happens. The author believes that war isn't glamerous and there isn't conflict thats worth the cost of human life. Overall war is simple, and dehumanizing. It changes good people to the worst, and proves nothing in the end.
I haven't yet finished the book, but so far it has been an enjoyable read. I bet you're all wondering what happens next so i'll be sure to keep you all imformed!

5 comments:

Natalie H said...

Good blog Oliver.
I agree, our unit on war made me think about what war really is as well. Until I read those letters and the book, I thought of war as what I saw in the movies. I guess I probably should have realized they aren't the most accurate of sources...

Cody Dederich said...

I completely agree as well, it's just too bad opinions of this nature get passed aside as "unpatriotic". It also burns me up whenever I hear people claim that you can't have an opinion on war until you've fought in one. I'll quit ranting. Good thoughts Oliver.

I'm not lost in the world. I'm just taking a detour. said...

In a way I agree. War is never a good thing. It changes people people are lost and theres not much we can do on our front here at home.

Kristi said...

I love this book! We read it for AP Comp. I think the part about the "true war stories" is the best section in the book. We talked a lot about how you never really know what's "true" and what is just believed as true.

Anna said...

I agree with your blog. I believe that we have not seen the real effects of war and maybe we should. We are so blinded by what we read and so we think that war is good when it is not.